Every four years the world is glued to their TVs, cell phones or web browsers to cheer on their home country and see the magic that is the Summer Olympic Games. This year’s events will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 5 through 21. More than 200 countries will compete in 306 events in 28 sports.
To prepare for the Olympic Games, we rounded up the 7 best pool workouts so anyone can feel like they’re Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin or Jenny Thompson.
Working out in water is a great exercise option because of the buoyancy, resistance and the benefits of a lower blood pressure and heart rate helping the heart to work more efficiently. Below are the 7 pool workouts we suggest trying:
- Water Jogging: While lifting the knees high towards the chest, jog from one side of the pool to the other for 1 minute. Repeat, first walking, then running.
- Water Squat Pop-Ups: Begin by standing with the feet hip-width apart. Keeping the knees behind the toes, lower into a squat. While raising the hands above the head, jump straight up. Bring the body back down into a squat position and repeat.
- Swim Laps: It seems simple enough, but swimming laps is a great exercise. Choose between backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly or freestyle and swim up and down the length of the pool. Repeat 10 times.
- Bicycle: While resting your elbows on the pool wall, alternate bending your knees and bringing them into your chest in a bicycle motion.
- Lateral Raises: Begin by standing in shoulder-deep water with arms by the sides. Raise arms out to the side of the body to water level. Repeat 10 times.
- Double Leg Lift: Being by holding onto the side of the pool in shoulder-deep water. Extend your left leg upright while keeping your toes pointed toward the pool wall. Repeat 10 times.
- Pool Crunch: While resting the elbows on the pool wall, bring both legs towards the body, making a crunch. Extend legs and repeat.
It’s important to stretch after completing exercises, even in water. A fun way to cool down the body is by performing a favorite yoga pose or two. In no time you’ll be ready to cheer on your favorite country during this year’s Summer Olympic Games after practicing these pool workouts.
To learn more about installing, updating or maintaining a pool, give our team at Blue Haven Pools and Spas a call!